Photo exhibition “Helsinki – Moscow – Tokyo” was displayed at Virka Gallery located in The City Hall of Helsinki. The event was featured in Kamera-lehti – one of the biggest and oldest Finnish magazines dedicated to photography.
This exhibition presented scenes from three capital cities—Helsinki, Moscow and Tokyo—after sundown. Gennady Kurushin’s photographs capture an unusual beauty that often hidden from view. By focusing on these three cities, the artist seeks to highlight the unique architecture and movement found within each one of them. The works in the exhibition were all shot in Helsinki, Moscow and Tokyo between 2013 and 2015.
Gennady Kurushin has a special interest in urban photography. Having worked for many years with film cameras and black and white images, he understands the importance of composition and getting each individual shot just right. In more recent years, Kurushin has moved towards a more experimental approach that includes more use of colour. He has drawn his inspiration from such works as the literature of Lewis Carroll, the music of Pink Floyd, and other photographers such as Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier-Bresson.
“I have always enjoyed night walks and seen particular beauty in the minimalism of night scenes. In addition, the use of long exposure removes noisy human presence from the scene, turning it into traces of light and shadows that emphasize timeflow and the motion of the city, rather than one particular moment.” – Gennady Kurushin, 2016.
Virtual reality tour
Information about the photographs
- The phantom of a boat gliding towards Liuskaluoto in the moonlight. Helsinki, September 2013.
- A light show at the crossroads in front of the Helsinki University Library. Helsinki, August 2014.
- The Esplanadi street drenched by rain. A popular historical street in Helsinki, attracting both local residents and tourists. Helsinki, July 2013.
- Iron Giants – cranes reflected in the water at the West Harbour. Helsinki, September 2013.
- The Bolshoy Kamenny bridge during the rush hour. Moscow, April 2015.
- Illumination of the Kadashevskaya embankment, captured from the Bolotnaya square. Moscow, April 2015.
- Illuminated skyscrapers in the International Business Center area in Moscow. Moscow, April 2015.
- A quiet weekday night. Ghosts on the Nikolskaya street, at the heart of the city. Moscow, April 2015.
- A crossroads near the Shinsen-Shinjuku railway station. Traffic is busy on a weekday evening. Tokyo, October 2015.
- Pedestrians waiting at the crossroads. Crowd in the Shibuya district, popular among young people. Tokyo, October 2015.
- A stream of cars, captured from a flyover near the Odakyu department store in the Shinjuku district. Tokyo, October 2015.
- Light trails of night boat tours and the Rainbow Bridge captured from the Odaiba Seaside Park. Odaiba is a large artificial island in Tokyo Bay. Tokyo, October 2015.